Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A day of changed plans

Today did not go quite as I planned it. I woke up this morning knowing that I should get moving toward the gym in Orem for a swim workout. My swim last friday was pretty eye-opening, cuz I stunk so bad after taking a couple weeks off of swimming. Well, PLAN CHANGE #1 - I didn't end up going. I slunk around this morning in my bathrobe checking email/blogs/facebook, reading a little of my bookclub book, getting Charlie dressed and fed. Finally at 9:30, I got dressed and beautified with some hair and make-up action. At this point, it was too late to head for the gym... so I called my friend, Em, and left a message for her to call me so we could hang out somehow today.

I then cleaned up the kitchen and finished the dishes from last night (this happens often, unfortunately) until it was about time to go pick up the kids for carpool. But I got a call from one of the other moms telling me she was already at the school volunteering so she could bring them home for me! PLAN CHANGE #2 - Sweet!

I then proceeded to set up what babysitting we would need tomorrow since Paul is going to be a driver for Andy's field trip to Salt Lake City tomorrow. I also needed to figure out a place for Charlie and Canon to go this afternoon because I needed to run over to Merit Academy to test a student at 1:00. I dropped off the kids at 12:45, and CRUD, my car battery was totally dead. We've known it was in bad shape since this stranded on the freeway episode back in September. We were able to jump it, but by then too much time had passed and I called and rescheduled the testing, and instead PLAN CHANGE #3 -headed down to Salem to have them change the battery for me. Bugger! Paul would have changed it, but Chevy vehicles have a knack for being IMPOSSIBLE for do-it-yourself work. Our mechanic even cut himself pulling that dang battery out. But at least now, the van starts when I turn the key. Emily finally called me back on my way home from the mechanic, but it was nap time so we weren't able to hang out together :(.

Paul and I went to our Ward's enrichment RS Birthday party together, mostly because dinner was involved. It turned out to be REALLY interesting with a great-great-granddaughter of Joseph & Emma Smith coming to speak to us about her conversion and the posterity of Emma & Joseph. She was actually the first decendant to join the LDS church. What a neat story she has! So, not to be all negative, but I gotta say that RS birthday celebrations are not usually my favorite enrichments to attend, but PLAN CHANGE #4 - this one was well worth the time. I felt bad though because I didn't feed my boys enough before we got there and they were pretty hungry when we got home at 8:45ish. We also didn't get their homework all done for the day, but PLAN CHANGE #5 - we just sent them all to bed anyway!

Then, to finish off the day, I headed off to Macey's to get Paul some NyQuil and DayQuil for this cold he's been working on today. I had looked at the weekly ad earlier today and had written down what they had on caselot sale this week. So instead of just picking up some medicine, milk and "easy speech day treats" for tomorrow (I've got 4 IEP's planned during school hours), PLAN CHANGE #6 - I came home with over $200 of food storage stuff. I didn't go TOO crazy, but lets just say I won't have to buy mac&cheese, soup, and a handful of other things for a while! I love my full shelves! As a double bonus, unloading the car and carrying these heavy boxes of canned stuff down the stairs kinda made up for not getting a workout in for the day.

So, even though the day didn't turn out like it maybe should have, it ended up just fine anyway.

2 comments:

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Thats why we've gotta be flexible and take each day as it comes.

Emily said...

Sorry we didn't get to hang out. Sad day for me. :(