Sunday, September 14, 2008

The story of a watch

So, about 5 months ago, I bought this watch at a women's expo in Orem. I love this watch and felt so stylin' wearing it. Unfortunately, within a couple months, the battery died and I am TERRIBLE at getting around to fixing things like that (I have 3-4 dead watches right now). But since I love this watch, I would still wear it occasionally because it was cute... until one day when I was pulling it off, SNAP went the band and beads flew everywhere. I collected all the beads and put them in a bag so I could eventually take the whole thing back and get a new one.

Fast forward to last Saturday (Sept 5th). I was in some serious need of "mommy alone time." It so happened that the same expo was going on again and I knew I could go exchange my watch there! Paul had been gone overnight to do his final triathlon of the season and didn't get home until early afternoon. Of course there was a BYU game on TV that somehow (in Paul's mind) trumped me going to the expo by myself. I stood my ground and insisted that I was NOT going to take Charlie with me. You can see that Charlie's very cute, but he's almost two years old. Even in this very picture, he's just finished pulling all the clothes out of the laundry baskets. I love this little guy, but there is no way I'm taking him to a crowded women's expo so he can sit in a stroller and scream (he's a screamer... a loud, ear-piercingly high-pitched screamer!) while I try to take a little break and get my watch replaced!
I did end up getting my way (of course), but I wasn't graceful about it, unfortunately. I convinced my sister-in-law, Melanie to come with me, so we took off with her little baby boy (4 months old is easier to shop with than a two year-old) to go to the expo.

Well, an unfortunate event occurred while driving north on I-15. We were about to exit into Provo to run a quick errand before going to the expo and somehow, my "idiot light" that has been VERY reliable up to this point failed me. I knew I was low on gas, but figured I could get to Costco with no problem, since the idiot light hadn't gone off yet... NOPE! I ended up looking like an idiot who ran out of gas. The friend that I was going to see in Provo came to bring us some gas, but by the time she got there, the battery died and we had no jumper cables. So, calling in the hubbies, we sat and waited for them to come and jump the car. By this point (an hour later), Melanie just went home with Spencer and Paul took me to the expo to exchange my watch. We had to hurry though, because our kids (and most of the other grandkids) were at Grandma and Grandpa's and they needed us back ASAP.

So, the watch company was great about exchanging the watch. I handed them the baggie and said, "new watch please!" and they replaced the whole thing AND threw in an extra battery! Thanks! I also picked up some super cute headbands that I had been wanting since the last expo. So much for "mommy alone time," but at least I got my watch back and some cute things.
Fast forward to Sunday (the next day) at stake conference. Now, don't get me wrong... I love the gospel and value my membership in the LDS church immensely, but getting through sacrament meeting with 3 young, loud boys is completely draining to me. Stake conference is TWICE as bad, seeing as how it's twice as long! In an attempt to keep Charlie quiet (which just means NOT SCREAMING), I let him hold my newly replaced watch. He innocently dropped it, and THIS is what happens.
SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Yeah, that's a broken glass right there! Cheap crap! I'm sure they'll replace the face again, but grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! As if sitting on the highway for an hour wasn't punishment enough for wanting to escape, but then the fruits of my labors end up breaking less than 24 hours of getting it fixed! Ah well... it's a bummer, but at least it's just "small stuff" and could be much worse. At least it's still keeping time!
So, the lesson I learned is this... if you need to escape from your kids, don't tick off your husband before you leave, because the karma comes around and bites you in the butt... big time!

3 comments:

Emily said...

This story is so funny...not really...but kind of. I love those stories when you just say, "are you kidding me?" Sorry your watch broke...that is lame!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Oh man. That stinks when you are really looking forward to some alone time and it doesn't work out! And then your watch breaks again! Sometimes it seems the planets are all aligned against us. So sorry, friend.

Rachel said...

Holy cow, what an adventure...? I'm with you on the mommy alone time - by definition, alone means NO KIDS!

So sorry about your watch! (And the karma...but I'm also totally on your side especially since Paul was gone overnight having daddy alone time. Hello.)