Monday, September 22, 2008

The canning continues!

This Saturday was a very busy day. It started off with soccer (of course), which I ditched out of to actually get some house cleaning done... yes, it does happen sometimes. I first went to "card exchange." This is a little group I'm involved with where we get together monthly to swap some rockin' cards! We make 2 different cards (10 of each) of different themes that we pick each month. I love being a part of this group because we're all pretty picky and put a lot into our cards... that way, we always get a good return on our investment. So, if I send you a card, it may or may not be a card that I personally made myself, but instead made by somebody that I made a card for! These are the two that I did make. The themes this month were "religious" and "whatever." I was going to send my religious card to my neice, Greta, because she recently got baptized, but it turned out I got a way cuter card from Cyndi, so I'm sending her that one!


Then, in the early after noon, I had "stamp club." This is a different group of ladies (though some of them overlap!) that get together monthly to make cards and we all order stuff and take turns getting the free hostess benefits. I provide all the materials for this group and these are the cards we made.
This card is 4"x4" and uses the 'faux silk' technique. For this one, you stamp on tissue paper, crinkle it up really tight, spread it out and glue it down (with glue stick) onto some cardstock.

Ingredients: (all Stampin' Up!) Eastern Blooms stamp set, Ink: sage shadow, chocolate chip. Paper: chocolate chip and sage shadow cardstock, whisper white cardstock, white tissue paper. Accessories: anywhere glue stick, white grosgrain ribbon, 3/4" circle punch. Easy and fun!


This card was a fast and easy one. No special techniques here!

Ingredients: Upsy Daisy stamp set, Ink: riding hood red, chocolate chip. Paper: riding hood red cardstock, Bella Rose designer series paper. Accessories: vintage brads, piercing tool.


This one was also very easy. Ingredients: Say it with scallops stamp set. Ink: tempting turquoise. Cardstock: tangerine tango, kiwi kiss, tempting turquoise, whisper white. Accessories: scallop square punch, tangerine tango striped grosgrain ribbon, silver brad, dimensionals.


So after all the card making fun, Emily and I picked up some amazing peaches from our neighbor and friend in the ward for a great price. We each bought two boxes, so we were in for a marathon peach-canning extravaganza! We ended up bottling 51 quarts of peaches that night, finishing way later than we wanted to. Here's the end result... I love how sweaty and beat we look!
While Emily, Nate (her hubby), Paul and I were all working hard on the peaches, we were glad that Sammy and Charlie were getting along well! We could even hear them laughing and playing together in my room. Well, we learned this lesson a little late, that though the house may be mostly Charlie proof, it is NOT Sammy proof! That little one has some AMAZING fine motor skills! I now know not to leave things out just because I think Charlie won't get into it. Things like fingernail polish....Yikes!!! It was a pretty tough moment, but we got through it, finished the peaches, and got the carpets cleaned today. I was impressed how much of the stain came out, and thankfully, it's not in a high-traffic area of the house. It now just looks like we didn't bother to clean up some spilled kool-aid or something, which is MUCH better than the full-on, brownish-red fingernail polish all over the floor!

3 comments:

Emily said...

We sure had a good time...except for the nail polish....YIKES! It was fun canning and carding (is that a word?) with you. I can't wait to do some more apples. I just did 19 quarts of green beans last night...I am a little tired.

Tristan Neider said...

I'm so glad that you posted some of your cards. I'm still doing stampinup, but I miss being in your group. You always had the funnest and cutest cards. I will be copying some of your cards this weekend.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Wow, you have had quite a day! I wish I could come stamp with you. i haven't done much stamping since convention, but an having a big catalog unveiling on thursday. Yes, I know it is a little late, but better late than never.
I love your cards. I think I'll try the faux silk. And that daisy card is so great because it is so simple and still so stinkin cute. Thanks for the inspiration.
I've been there with the nail polish fun. Sorry.