Monday, March 2, 2009

A gallon of giving

This morning I went to donate blood at the American Red Cross donation center in Orem. These people are persistent in getting donations, and every 8 weeks, the calls start coming in. I don't have an extremely rare blood type, but it's not the most common either (I'm B+), so they call me every time I'm eligible again. They also call me when they're needing pediatric donations because apparently, I don't have a certain benign virus in my blood, which makes my blood eligible for newborn transfusions.

So, I went to donate and this time, they handed me a pin honoring the fact that I've donated a gallon of blood in my lifetime. It's not THAT much blood, nor is it a big deal, but it did make me happy. I'm glad that I'm healthy and have lived the type of prudish life where I can say I've had no sexual or pharmaceutical contact with all sorts of deal breaking situations! Unfortunately, I also haven't travelled ANYWHERE. But I guess, this way, I don't have to worry about having picked up who-knows-what from Africa or the UK. Plus, I'm much better at giving blood now that I've had 3 kids. The needles don't bother me, I don't get faint anymore, and I'm much faster at filling up that bag and the 10 little tubes than I used to be!

So, yea for me that my blood is useful! If you have useful blood, you should consider donating it. It's a pretty easy way to feel helpful!

4 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

GOOD FOR YOU! Despite my RAGING needle phobia, I used to donate all the time because I have the most valuable type on the planet (o-).

However, I have stopped because since my gastric bypass I am perpetually anemic no matter how much iron I take and I've been shot down multiple times. It got to the point where it was just too much rigamaroll to try to donate (See aformentioned needle phobia comment)

It actually bums me out. It used to make me feel really useful. :(

Diana said...

I've read about your needle phobia, Loralee! I'm impressed that you've ever even given blood! I'm sure it was no small task for you!

Alisha M said...

They used to call me all the time too, but I think I'm off the hook until this summer/fall, then I'll start going again. WAY TO GIVE BLOOD!

Mandy said...

Good for you!! I don't know how you have time for everything girly....the newborn transfusion....that is pretty precious stuff my friend. That in itself has got to make you feel great!