Saturday, February 14, 2009

I love my Valentine!

Even though I just spent the entire week blogging about my sweetheart, I wanted to throw another one in here on behalf of Valentine's Day. Also because, the fact that Paul and I have been talking about our dating process a lot this week, it has brought up some old insecurities (nothing drastic, but our 9 months of dating was pretty grueling for both of us) and that is the last thing I want my husband to feel right now as he is venturing off into a new job and career path in a week.

So, since he's been my valentine for 10 years now, I thought I'd do a top 10 list on why I love my husband so much. For those with quesy stomachs when it comes to mushy stuff, stop reading now. My sweetie is not perfect, but he's very LOVABLE, and here are some reasons why:

1. He is GOOD. He is one of those people who is completely without guile. It is so valuable to me to have a man that wants the best for everyone. I've never seen him try to make himself look bigger by trying to make someone else seem small. I still have a lot to learn from him in this department.

2. He is WELL-ROUNDED. One of my favorite things about Paul is that no matter who they are or what kind of background they have, Paul can carry on a good conversation with just about anyone. He has such a variety of interests, he can usually find some common ground on which to build a conversation or relationship.

3. He is ATHLETIC. I don't think Paul's ever found a sport he didn't like... well, unless you consider hunting and fishing a sport. Thankfully, we don't have to spend as much money at Cabela's as we do Sports Authority! Basketball, soccer, football, golf, skiing, biking, running, swimming, etc. He's good at all of these... not necessarily the star of the team, but can hold his own. I'm very proud of how well he's done and how much he's improved in his triathlon racing. He works hard and is easy to cheer on!

4. He's a GREAT DRIVER. Now, before you say, "huh?" I'm including this because I am NOT a good driver and don't particularly like driving. So, for me to have a husband that ALWAYS drives when we're together and the fact that he's a great driver and has never put us in danger, this is why it makes the list!

5. He is TALENTED. I love to sing with Paul. I love it when we find a song that would be fun to sing together and he can sit down and figure out the guitar accompaniment as well as the harmonies. I also love it that he recently (last two years) learned to play the bass for his sisters' band.

6. He is a great FATHER. I am grateful that my boys have an excellent example of manhood and priesthood and husbandhood (if that's not a word, then it should be). He's firm when he needs to be, but guides them with love and a gentle hand. He also rough-houses them plenty, which they can't get enough of. My boys adore their daddy.

7. I love his LAUGH. Paul is easy to make laugh. He's very reinforcing this way and makes you feel so good about yourself. Another reason why he's fun to be with.

8. He's SEXY! I obviously don't need to go into detail about this one, but all the training he does has really paid off! Plus, he smells really good (well, except after basketball, but that's easily fixed)!

9. He HELPS me be a better wife, mother, and person. I'm grateful for how Paul is so capable of filling in all the blanks I leave around our house (and life). I also appreciate all the encouragment and reinforcement for my weight loss efforts and in meeting my goals for the triathlon. He pushes me to be better and to do my best. He does this with so much patience, tolerance and love.

10. He LOVES me! Try as I might, sometimes I just can't figure this one out. But, I'm not going to complain about that! As I said, he's very patient and looks for the best in others. This is very much to my advantage.

There you have it! Ten good reasons why I love Paul. Now that I'm done with 10, I've already thought of some more I could add. Next Valentine's day, maybe I'll add some more! I hope you all had a great lover's holiday!

2 comments:

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

It sounds like you made a pretty darn good choice ten years ago. What a great guy! I hope I can meet him, and your kiddos, one day. Happy V-day!

Rachel said...

Great list. Just the right amount of mush. :)