Thursday, February 12, 2009

*Chapter 6* - The proposal

For those just tuning in... I have spent this last week posting about the story of how Paul and I met, fell in love, broke up, got back together, and now got engaged 10 years ago today. This is where the story left off from yesterday.
When we went shopping for rings, we ended up going to two different stores and found two similar rings that I really liked. Paul told me that he was going to check both places and compare prices. He also told me it may take a couple weeks. The approaching Valentine's day was on a Sunday that year and Paul had to work on Saturday and Sunday, so we decided to celebrate V-day on Friday the 12th. Paul was making a big deal out of this date, so I was suspecting something may happen soon, but he kept assuring me the ring wasn't done.

Paul came to pick me up that evening and when he opened the car door for me (something he always did... that was before the beauty of keyless entry diminished his chivalry), there was a beautiful rose on the seat with a note attached. Very sweet and I was thinking good things about this date. But then, the restaurant he took me to was anything but romantic. It's called Kate's Kitchen and it's basically one step above a full-on buffet kind of place! Thankfully, they have decent food! There was a significant line to get in, which seemed to stress Paul out a little bit. We finally were seated and started on our meal when 3 of Paul's friends showed up and the four of them sang a song for me. As they were singing, I was nervously looking at Paul's pockets looking for a ring box indentation, seriously hoping he wasn't going to propose to me at this bright, noisy, and crowded restaurant! They finished the song and then the guys left and Paul sat down to finish his dinner. At that point I thought, "maybe he's NOT going to propose tonight."

We had tickets to go see "Three Penny Opera," a play they were doing up on campus. We got there and soon after it began, we realized that it was the morbid musical about Mack the Knife. On top of that, it was bad acting and overall really bad theater (in their defense, both of us are pretty harsh critics). Not long into the play, Paul leans over to me and emphatically says, "I really want to leave." I agreed, so the next time the lights went out after a song, we grabbed our coats and scooted right out of there. The play sort of ruined what little romantic mood had been built up to that point, but we were trying to salvage that. Paul mentioned that he had one more idea of what we could do, but that it wouldn't take very long. We made our way back to the car and then drove over to the other side of campus to walk around Old Main Hill.

It was cold (Logan is a freaking ICE BOX!!!) and both of us were shaking, but Paul seemed to be shaking a lot! We stopped on the northwest side of the building where you can see the Logan temple. It was a clear night and the temple looked so beautiful. This picture is a daytime view of the temple from where we were standing.
Paul began telling me about how excited he was about the last nine months of our relationship and his excitement about the next couple of months, knowing what we had decided in the temple the week before. Then he told me he was also excited about tonight. When I asked why, he pulled out a box and said, "Because I want to give you this." I think I screamed and called him a liar (since he told me it wasn't going to be done for a while still) as he knelt down and asked me to marry him. I started crying and said yes. The ring was so beautiful and I was so jittery about it I hardly let him put it on my finger! We hugged for a long time and moved over into some light so I could see it sparkle! Here's a picture of the ring I've been wearing for 10 years today! Actually, we added the anniversary band a couple years into the marriage, but the top ring is what he gave me that night.
One thing that makes this ring extra special to me is that this was my mother-in-law's diamond. She hadn't been using her original wedding ring, so they offered the diamond to Paul to use on my ring. It's exactly what I would have picked since I wanted a round diamond. I also don't have to feel guilty anymore because a couple years ago, my father-in-law bought her a nice and big diamond that she wears now! I told Paul that when Andy's looking to get engaged, he can upgrade my diamond then and we can pass this one on to him... hope she likes round!
Anyway, back to the story... We were there long enough to have our "moment" and then because I was so excited (and it was freezing!), we drove over to my little sister, Alisha's, apartment first to show her. She and her roommates gave me the perfect girly/squealing reinforcement I was looking for, so then we went over to Spencer and Jen's house (my brother and sis-in-law) to show them and break the news to Mom and Dad. The next and last stop was at Scott and Robbie's (my other brother and sis-in-law!). They were all very happy for us and I was so glad to have family around to share the news with. That's where this picture was taken! I don't think I could have smiled bigger!
So, overall, it was a great proposal, because ultimately, I was very much in love with this man and so excited to be his bride! A decade later, I am still very much in love with this man and work hard to still consider myself his "girlfriend." He is an exceptionally wonderful husband to me and I'm grateful for him everyday. Especially days like today when he brings me home beautiful flowers like these, accompanied with a spa gift certificate! Can't wait for the lilies to bloom!
So, that's our story. Thanks for sticking with me and making it through to the end! This has been so fun to walk through these events again. It made today all the more special for me!

10 comments:

andrea said...

AH!!! This whole time reading this post, i was smiling and containing my screams and gitty-ness! haha! ridiculous huh?? this has been so cute and fun to hear about your courtship, dating, etc. I love all the kissy kissy stuff hehe, i think it is so funny to read about. Happy Anniversary! and Happy (almost) Valentines Day!!

love you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Now, I searching for the best information for Remote Keyless Entry~~*

and your Blog are very interesting too

i hope you to don't angry me to post this post for backlink

Please comeback to visit my blog too : Remote Keyless Entry

I'm sorry , If you think this is spam. but may i thank you again.

Molly said...

Thanks for the story. I think that I got engaged on Feb. 15 10 years ago. Yipee! I will have to remind husband of that!

Emily said...

l loved reading your love story. Congrats on 10 years! What a sweet story and a great way to record it and share it will all of us. Love you!

PS> Please tell Paul sorry that Sammy called him...she is so silly.

Merinda Reeder said...

Yay! What a good story.
I'm coming up on five years... maybe I'll copy you and do some story telling in about a month.
Yahoo!

Mandy said...

What a great story and beautiful flowers. Congratulations on 10 years!

jina carter said...

WOW! That was a great story! And the pictures were so much fun to look at! I don't think I could tell my story in half as much detail. Congrats on 10 years! Your flowers are gorgeous!

Jen said...

How fun to get all the details. I remember you two dating, but I don't remember the exact engagement story. How cute! Time sure does fly!

Miss Kendra said...

This makes me want to tell out story all though it is nothing near as good as yours. It would take me one post and about 10 minutes.

Thanks for sharing. I loved it!!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

You are such a great writer and those posts were such a fun read. It takes me back to those giddy, young love days. I throughly enjoyed your story, and I can tell you enjoyed writing it!