Saturday, February 21, 2009

Good morning SUNSHINE!

I was SO happy to see the sun shining this morning. Though I needed to fit in a swim workout for the day, I decided to take my bike and introduce it to the road instead! Since I was freaked out about popping a tire or having some sort of incident, I went to all the hassle of finding one of the ward young women to come watch the boys for an hour so Paul and I could go together. Not that I'm wishing away the next four years, but I am very much looking forward to the day Andy is 12ish and I can squeeze in a quick workout or a trip to the store without paying somebody $4- 6 bucks!

Paul's brother Spencer was coming with us and then we met up with his parent's neighbor, Chris Shurian as well. It was chilly this morning, so I bundled up a little too well for how hard I ended up working! At one point, I took off my jacket and gloves, but then got a bit too cold with the breeze I was creating for myself, so I put the gloves back on. It was a beautiful combination of warm hands and cold arms! I ended up going about 10.5 miles and we had 3 stops in between while we were waiting for others to join us. Paul and the guys ended up going much further (an extra 20 miles) after I turned to head home. They had been humoring me by taking it easy and letting me set the pace. I'm sure they were definitely ready to get started on their "real workout"! Riding the bike was tough on my legs and just about wore me out! But out of curiosity, after I got home, I put my bike inside, took of my helmet and jacket and decided to run around the block real quick just to see what it would feel like. I couldn't believe how much my legs felt like BUTTER as I was bouncing along. I say bouncing because I basically had no ability to lift/kick my legs with my hamstrings and quads burned out! Next week, I'll have to try running 3 miles and then jump on the bike to get a taste of what my triathlon will be like. Typical triathlons have the run following the bike ride, but mine has the run first. I'll let you know how that goes!

Anyway, I just wanted to document how glorious it felt to actually RIDE my bike, instead of just spinning on my bike like I've been doing since Christmas. I'm so grateful for our bike trainer, since it's allowed me to get accustomed to my bike, but there is such a huge difference when you actually feel yourself moving as you pedal harder and faster! I'm SO excited that we had beautiful weather today and hope it sticks around for a while!

2 comments:

Emily said...

I am so excited that you got to ride your bike outside...finally!

Molly said...

Yay for sunshine!