Friday, February 6, 2009

Here's how I got there.

10 years ago this week, I was on the verge of the biggest decision of my life. I've been amazed at how happy this one decision has made me. I've decided that this week will include a series of posts that will explain the process of meeting, falling in love, breaking up with, hooking back up with, and committing myself for "time and all eternity" to my sweetie, Paul.

*Chapter 1*
The first day I ever laid eyes on Paul Croshaw was a couple weeks into the fall semester of my Junior year of college at Utah State University. It was a Tuesday afternoon, and I was sitting in rehearsal for the jazz choir. This is a choir with 12 people, 3 on each part. I was a 2nd soprano. Up until this day, there were only 11 people in the choir, and in came Paul to audition for the last remaining bass spot. As a choir, we had already spent some time learning the song, "Four Brothers" by Manhattan Transfer, an INCREDIBLY FAST and DIFFICULT piece. Paul got some time to sing with the other 2 basses to learn the gist of the part before 3 of us were picked (I was one of these 3) to sing it as a quartet with Paul on bass. We were listening to see if he could hack it by carrying the part alone while blending with the rest of us. He passed muster and was welcomed into the choir.

Funny thing happened next. Right after Paul proved his worth to the group, this other guy walks in to the rehearsal about 20 minutes late. He came to audition for the same position, but since it had JUST been filled within the last 5 minutes, he was sent on his way. It was actually kind of awkward for all of us. I sometimes wonder what delayed this guy's arrival. If he had been on time, would he have beaten Paul out of that spot in the choir? Would he have stood next to me and developed a deep burning crush for me over the course of that school year? (Hahaha!) Actually, I mostly wonder if the Lord would have found some other way for Paul and I to meet and get to know each other.

We'll NEVER know!

But to whoever you are, dear late guy, I want to thank you for stopping in the hall to flirt with that girl in your apartment complex, or for grabbing a quick open-faced peanut butter/jelly sandwich from The Hub before coming upstairs in the Taggart Student Center and potentially ruining my life's happiness! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I owe you one!

1 comment:

Jen said...

So funny...I went to school at USU for a semester and lived there for an entire year - I never became a "True Aggie"!! (Not even close) Kind of fun that you did with your future husband!! Love it!