Tuesday, October 7, 2008

High on conferences!

I love conferences & conventions. I love learning from people who are experts in the fields of things I love. A couple years ago, I realized how lucky I am that I have the opportunity to go to conferences about the really important things in my life.
First, there's the Church, and I LOVE being able to listen to the "experts" (I would call a prophet of God an expert... wouldn't you?!) talk to me about what God wants me to hear. I don't know if any of my non-member friends read my blog (I'm doubting it), but just in case... General conference was this weekend and I was truly fed. I got to listen to all five sessions (the 4 plus RS) and kept receiving inspiration on things I can improve on. I particularly loved Elder Corbridge's talk on Saturday afternoon. It was all about the Savior, and though I've heard all the scriptural references he quoted many many times before, this talk struck me to the core. I know that though I have a testimony of the Savior and His atonement, I know my testimony can always be stronger, that I can always live closer to Him, and put more of my trust in Him. It especially sank in when Elder Corbridge reiterated how bringing to pass our immortality is God's work and glory, not our own. It is not a human endeavor. The commandment to be "perfect, even as your Father in Heaven is perfect", has always felt unattainable to me and has discouraged me in the past. But to hear that "while the Lord's invitation to follow Him is the highest of all, it is also achievable by everyone. Not because we are able, but because He is." I was standing in my kitchen making lunch for my boys wiping tears from my face after he said this. And the tears kept flowing as he declared that "life is hard, but life is simple. Get on the path and never ever give up... you just keep on going and don't quit and you will make it... Jesus Christ is the way... any other way is madness." Sometimes I need to be told that I CAN make it, because so much inside us and all around us tells us that it's impossible. I do believe that it is possible and this talk gives me more hope and faith that I can get there... through Him. Ahhhh, food for my soul. There were many great talks this time... very upbeat, despite all the CRAP going on in the world.

Secondly (and much less importantly), I got to go to a convention for Speech Pathologists on Thursday and Friday. I am now a little smarter in the areas of infant/childhood development, fixing the /r/ sound, and Asperger's Syndrome. So go ahead, ask me anything! HA!! Two of the keynote speakers are legendary in their areas of expertise. Dr. Rosetti is the go-to-guy for early intervention (helping babies learn to communicate) and Mr. Kowalski is the SLP expert on Asperger. It was awesome to listen to these men. Wow, there's so much to know! Conferences are great in that you get to learn more, but terrible as you realize how little you know. As an SLP in the schools, I don't get the luxury to be an expert on anything, you have to be "smart enough" in everything. I got to hang out with my friend from college, Lacey, and two sweet SLP colleagues I met from a previous conference. Now, I just need to figure out how to actually apply all this good information to my daily WORK. Wish me luck.

My other recent convention was the Stampin' Up! convention in July. I already posted about this in August, but I just wanted to throw that in here to acknowledge (again) how much I enjoy being able to experience these kinds of events. I'm very blessed.

1 comment:

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

As you already know, I absolutely loved Elder Coatbridge's talk too. We CAN do this, thanks completely to the atonement of our Savior. What a powerful and reaffirming message. I think I'll go listen to that one again right now.

I love conferences and conventions too! I love to pull out my notebook and take an abundance of notes - probably a throwback to my college days. It make me feel so smart. SU of course is a blast, and I learn so much (and meet some REALLY COOL people!) Mom and I are going to Time Out for Women this weekend. I can't wait.