Thursday, July 2, 2009

What do you do when you're upset?

I was in a funk pretty much all day yesterday. When I have days like this, one of two things happens; I either retreat into a corner and nothing gets accomplished, or I go into overdrive. Seriously, the best way to get me to clean my house, is to tick me off! I don't know why, but it feels good to sort of throw the silverware into the dishwasher and throw things away forcefully!

Another thing I do, (or at least what I did yesterday) is go out for a run. I've been trying to increase my distance over the last month, but have really struggled to get 5 miles. Last night, I ended up going 6, and it definitely worked all my "funky" thoughts away. By mile 4, I was tired enough to just be thinking about keeping my legs moving. It felt like the entire route I ran was uphill somehow. By the end, my hip flexor muscles were painin' and I was totally pooped! Thankfully, 'So You Think You Can Dance' was waiting for me on the DVR at home, and I was able to chill out and stretch while watching my favorite show.

So, even though the day had an irritating cloud hanging over it, at least it ended in just the right way. What do you do to drive away the 'funk'?

5 comments:

Emily said...

Chocolate and FroYo with you...that always gets me out of a funk.

andrea said...

i watch a movie. when i am involved in a life that isn't my own it's like a vacation for my brain. sometimes i will go on a drive. now that it is summer, i do that a lot. i don't recomend that in the winter season lol. love you :)

jina carter said...

I tend to throw things. Which is not highly recommended. I never was until I got married to Brett and he thought he could first. Most of the time though, if its more of just a bad day kind of thing, I will talk to someone about it. Just open up and spill my guts, cry for a while, and then feel so much better.

Movies are good too. I second that.

Jaynie said...

I add the ipod to the whole cleaning thing! Hope you are having a better day! You inspire me to push myself to run more. I'm only at 2 miles...

Lacey said...

I have a lot of these "Funk days" lately...everyone and everything seems to drive me CRAZY. I can't seem to get anything accomplished. Summer+ four kids= tired mom!