Monday, June 29, 2009

Looking for more miracles

{{editing to add a picture of Lily. She is so precious and I just want to hold her and give Megan the biggest hug in the world right now.}}
My little sister, Megan, finally had her first baby last Wednesday. Little Lily Sarah Stafford was 11 days overdue and in many ways, her arrival has long been waited for. Even before her birth, Megan and Chris knew there may be a heart issue, so Lily was taken to the Children's hospital in Denver shortly after birth (Megan delivered at a birthing center). After a couple days, the heart was looking fine, but Lily was having a hard time eating. Apparently she hasn't been sucking on even a bottle nipple. But I was told by my mom, that they'd be able to take her home once she started eating better and gaining some weight.

Then, yesterday, while at a big family gathering with Paul's family, my dad called to let me know that Lily has taken a turn downhill. His news was pretty grim and he told me about multiple seizures that Lily was having and the fact that she wasn't digesting the food they'd put in her stomach. Dad said that they really didn't know what was wrong. So, all afternoon, I was worried to death that Lily wasn't going to make it.

Thankfully, when I talked to my mom later that night, the news wasn't as grim (by the way, Dad, when it comes to passing along news in the family... you're fired! The picture he paints has now been worse than reality TWICE). Anyway, the doctors had done a CT scan with everything looking just fine with the brain. The heart is just fine. They'd done a spinal tap to check for meningitis, and thankfully, we now know there is no infection. She's had a slightly elevated temperature and heartrate, and she has started to digest some of the milk they've given her. The seizures have also stopped with some medication they've given her. As of right now, I'm still not aware if they know what's going on. But the head doctor of the NICU has been handling her case and is very optimistic that everything will be okay.

So, for anyone out there with extra room on their prayer list, please send one out there for Lily, Megan, and Chris Stafford. I'm sure they won't mind the extra faith and prayers sent their way. Thanks. As my mom told us siblings this morning, "We have been blessed with many miracles this year already, but I will still ask for more." So will I.

3 comments:

Emily said...

you know that your family will be in my prayers. so scary.

Molly said...

Adding them to my list. The more miracles the better.

jina carter said...

That breaks my heart. I can't imagine the fear and out of control feeling her parents must feel. My prayers are with your family as well.