Monday, June 29, 2009

Mommy time bliss

On Saturday this past weekend, Paul and I took the boys up to North Ogden for a high school choir reunion. It was held at one of those awesome "aquatic centers" that many cities in Utah now have which is what saved my sanity for the event. Paul was able to see a handful of old aquaintances along with his old choir director and his family. Paul spent the afternoon hanging out in the bowery shooting the breeze (he never even got in his swimsuit), while the boys and I played away in the water and the sun. It really was a fun little afternoon event and all of the boys were ticked when it was time to go, even though we'd been there for over 4 hours. Each of the boys got a bit of a sunburn, but nothing they can't survive!

We got home at about 5:30 pm and Paul's plan was to go hang out at his parents since so much family was in town for the twin's farewell. Knowing the kids would be able to roam around and play, I asked Paul if I could head up to the Downeast outlet in Orem to do some dress shopping. Since losing the weight, I've purchased enough shorts and capris to get me through the summer, but my options for sunday attire were pretty limited. He actually let me go ALL. BY. MYSELF!!!

I gotta tell ya, it was BLISS! Guilt-free, time-limit-free, mommy-actually-gets-to-go-shopping-in-a-store time is extremely rare for me. I do get plenty of opportunities to leave the house alone, but I'm usually on my way to work, or someone else is watching the kids, so I always need to hurry back. But this time, I just moseyed around, picked up everything I thought was cute, and tried it all on without having to hurry. I ended up getting a cute, cotton, knit, black dress that will work for any type of occasion with a red tank top to wear underneath (practically all their clothes require an undershirt), and a denim skirt and a fun, yellow shirt. Ahhh. It was so nice to have options on Sunday morning!

Then, to top it off, the Downeast store is right by a Cafe Rio restaurant. I know everyone makes fun of how trendy it is to eat at Cafe Rio, but I love that pork salad and could eat one everyday! So, I treated myself to a salad and sat in my car and ate the whole thing! Mmmmm! After that, I felt sufficiently spoiled and headed to Mapleton to join Paul and the boys at Grandma's house. I know it's dumb to make such a big deal about an hour and a half of alone time, but it really was wonderful!

3 comments:

Molly said...

All. By. Myself. The best words ever invented. If you are a mom. We just discovered Cafe Rio, and Costa Vida, (which we prefer) about 6 months ago and are hooked on the sweet pork also. I actually have a good knock off recipe if you want it.

Cheryl said...

Good for you! We all need a little "Me" time every now and again.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Ah, the little joys in life!

I had to go all the way to Utah to go to the mall. We have them, but I can never get to them.