Thursday, June 4, 2009

Happy Birthday, Canon!

My little monkey, Canon, turned 6 today. I know it is SOOOO cliche to say it, but it is amazing how fast time goes by. I sure love this little feller! I thought in honor of his birthday this year, I would come up with a little mini Canon happy list.

Things about Canon that make me happy:
1. his freckles
2. his squinty smile and how much he "cheeses" it for pictures these days.
3. his energy for life
4. his affectionate nature
5. his ability to finish a whole math facts homework page without me standing over him!
6. how he LOVES to be tickled
7. his readiness to grow into whatever comes next!
8. how easy he was to potty train all those years ago
9. the cute things he says ("Mom, chores are for big year-olds!")
10. that he loves to dance and watches 'So You Think You Can Dance' with me.
11. his friendly and outgoing ways
12. he's a happy kid who smiles a lot
13. he's easy to make laugh (REALLY easy!)
14. he is teachable and a fast learner
15. that he's no longer a kindergartner (I hate that schedule!)!!!
16. his love for anything boyish (spiderman, star wars, super heroes, sports, etc.)
17. that he always wants to sit by me
18. his confidence in himself
19. that he's now saying his /r/ sounds correctly (after 2+ years of nagging)!!!
20. THAT HE'S MINE!!!

Today we had a friend birthday party for him over at his Grandma's house. Grandma's awesome and friendly neighbor let us bring 12 kids over to their pool and swim for an hour. It was a great day for swimming and all the kids had fun. After drying off a bit, we went back over to Grandma's yard to open presents and eat cupcakes. When figuring how many kids were coming to the party, I neglected to add my own boys and an extra niece to the headcount and didn't get enough cupcakes. Paul and I had a bit of a squabble about it, but no major drama ensued (well, maybe just a little) except that Paul accidentally took the camera with him when he went to get more cupcakes against my wishes. I took some pictures of Canon opening his presents with my phone, and Paul caught these pictures after the kids had already eaten their blue frosting cupcakes! We missed the whole singing "happy birthday" event and that ugly yearly picture of blowing out the candles. Ah well. Overall, it was a fine little party for my extremely low standards. My friend, Rachelle, would never approve because she throws ridiculously amazing parties for her boys (I'm so jealous of her hostessing skillz), but it was good enough for me because it actually happened! I was pretty tuckered out, though, afterwords.

Canon's cupcake ring!
Couldn't help but point out all that icing on his face again!
The carnage!!

So, happy birthday big guy! I'm happy to be celebrating your life. Each day being your mom is a gift. Your daddy and I love you so much.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Congrats Canon! You are sure getting old...does that mean your Mom and I are getting old too? NO WAY.

Love you Diana. It looks like it was a great party. Sorry we missed you last night.