Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I must be crazy!

After doing the triathlon in April, I fully intended to sign up for a couple more triathlons to compete in this summer. I thought about doing a race near Park City at Echo lake last week, but didn't manage to train myself properly. I've really slacked off on my swimming and biking, finding it hard to fit in the same number of workouts I was doing in preparation for that first tri. Since April, all I've done is the Art City 5K, and in a couple weeks, I'll be attempting my first 10K at the Speedy Spaniard in Spanish Fork!

Well, I made the mistake (j/k!) of going running with some friends in the ward (Julie and Tina) who are training for a half marathon. First of all, they kicked my butt on an 8 mile run down the canyon, and while doing so, we talked about the idea of doing one of those insane Ragnar relay races! There's one coming up called the Red Rock Relay and Tina got a fire lit up underneath her and within a week, got a team put together! It takes place Labor Day weekend and starts at the Brian Head resort and ends at the Tuacahn theater outside St. George. I'm actually really, really excited, despite one major factor... Tina, Julie and I are among the better runners of the group. This means we get the hardest legs in our van. AAACK! My first leg of the race is 6.5 miles all downhill. The second leg is 6.3 miles, again, all downhill (my poor quads!). My last leg is 3.9 miles with a nice 1/2 mile run up a dam to finish it off! So, I got some extra training to do in the next 6-7 weeks.

I'm really glad that I've got something really tough to shoot for again. Nothing like being totally intimidated to get your butt out there and moving again. I'll try to update on my progress. At this point, I can run 4 miles without too much difficulty. Five gets a bit tougher and by six... I'm really ready to stop. So far, my longest run was that 8 miler on July 4th. So, yep, better get busy! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Yep! Your are crazy all right. But a good crazy. Have fun (if it is really possible to have fun while running.)

Emily said...

You are a rock star. i am so excited to do this race with you and the girls. It is going to be a challenge, but it will be a great way to push ourselves and take things to the next level.

Keep up the great work. Maybe we can help each other in some ways.

tina said...

First off, we did NOT kick your butt down the canyon--in fact, we were discussing later how we felt you really pushed us those first 6 miles. So whatever! And you are going to do awesome on the relay. We are going to have soooo much fun (in between the running legs and tears).