Friday, April 17, 2009

A workout update

The hours are counting down to the big moment I become an official triathlete! This week, I went swimming on Tuesday evening to see what it was like to swim in my tri outfit. It was a bit different to swim wearing "jammers", but I didn't feel like it was getting in the way. I did several "ladders" where you swim 25 yards, short break, 50 yards, short break, 75 yards, short break, 100 yards. Just so you know, one length of the pool is 25 yards. I've gotten somewhat faster at doing these, especially since I'm swimming just a little faster and because I am recovering quicker and able to start up again after 30 seconds or so. I still have so much improvement to make on my swim, though! I'm amazed at how effortless some people make swimming look, and yet they are WICKED FAST!

I didn't workout at all on Wednesday... thanks to the snow. Thursday, Paul and I went to the gym to try doing all 3 exercises in one session. I ran for 13 minutes on the treadmill, switched to a stationary bike for a 20 minute ride, then ran to the pool, threw on my swimcap and goggles, and jumped right in. It felt so good! I'm glad I did all three of these to give me an idea of what my body will feel like doing one exercise after the other. I also now know that I need to get my face and goggles wet before I put them on. I didn't get a good seal and had to stop midway to clear some water out of them. This is something I wouldn't have known for the race tomorrow.

Today, I just did a little diddy to try transitioning. I ran around my block, ran up to my bike, put on my helmet, switched my shoes, and walked the bike to the road before jumping on it for a quick spin around the neighborhood. I actually ended up doing this twice, adding gloves the second time! It's still pretty cold out there! Paul's hoping I can have some really fast transition times, because that will ultimately help me accomplish the goal I have set for finishing the race in under 1 hour, 30 minutes.

Tune in tomorrow for pictures on how it all went! I'm sure the whole event will be well documented by Paul. He's just as excited about all of this as I am! I'm also excited to be doing this race with a couple of friends as well. Julie Ahlborn is our carpool savior and the YW president in our ward, and Chris Shurian is my in-law's next door neighbor and a family friend. I'm glad they're doing the race too! It will be nice to hear some extra cheering along!

Til tomorrow!

1 comment:

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Oh how I'd love to jump into a pool with you - (yet have NO desire to run with you, huh?).

According to my clock you are at the starting line right now!!!

Can't wait to see the pics!