Saturday, April 11, 2009

More interjections

I'm going throw in another couple of blog posts about me and mine before I update on Spencer.

Being in Grand Junction this week was not so great for me on the scale. I feel like I was making pretty good food choices as far as meals go, but I indulged a bit on some snacking throughout the week. I also didn't get/take the chance to do the type of workouts that my "zero to hero" training schedule recommended for this last week, so that was a factor as well (guess I'll just have to settle for finishing 2nd place or something mediocre for this first race of mine. HA!!!) For example, on Tuesday, I was supposed to bike 15 miles, but all I managed was to make it to the gym and spin for about 40 minutes. Then on Wednesday, I was supposed to swim 12 laps as well as do an easy run for 45 minutes, and neither of those actually happened. I did get to go on a great bike ride with Paul when I got back to Utah on Thursday, but slacked off on Friday (well, except for that KILLER ab and butt workout I did with Emily... OUCH!) and still need to figure out something for this afternoon. The crappy weather again today is making me feel blue. I also feel like I've been dumping on Paul too much, so figuring out a way to workout has been tricky this week.

So with this, I opted not to go weigh in this Thursday, because I didn't want to admit that I'd gained 2.8 lbs in one week. I was thinking, "I'll just be really good this week, try to make up for it and hopefully have a zero loss next week." But the Easter candy, the cookies at the egg hunt this morning and the delicious strawberry shortcake Pam brought to stamp club today have been a powerful distraction to that commitment. I'm going to try to turn around my thought processes and start thinking things like, "it's easy to ignore chocolate" and "these last 5 lbs will be just as easy to lose as the first 5," and see if it'll work!

My race is in one week. I'm very excited. It's going to be hard and physically demanding to say the least (and maybe even downright miserable if the weather stinks!). But I'm looking forward to the feeling of joy I'll have when I finish something that I would have never thought I could do. I had a lightbulb moment discovery about myself this week when I realized that one of the ways I find joy is when I recognize progress in life. I think that's why one of the first things that pops into my head when someone comments on my weight loss is how FUN this whole process has been. Not that ordering boring chicken when your companions order yummy nachos is "FUN", or feeling like you're going to pass out or puke after running at a faster speed than before is "FUN," but the feeling of accomplishment when you see that you did something today that you couldn't do before (like fitting into a smaller size or completing a triathlon) is, in fact, a really joyous feeling. I'm grateful to know this about myself now. Maybe it will encourage me to go clean my bathroom. Even seeing counter space in that room will count as "progress."

3 comments:

Emily said...

I am so glad that you are back...but it hard to get back into a schedule. Sorry you gained a little; I know that you will bounce right back.

I am so excited for your race on Saturday. I can't wait to cheer you on...you are my inspiration...and you help me get up at 5am...even if you don't get up that early. :)

Diana said...

Thanks for leaving a comment, Emily! I was worried I would have 3 posts in a row with 0 comments! I don't know why, but that depresses me a little! I'm thrilled you'll be coming to watch me race. It will help to have some friendly support!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

I have been feeling that same "Fun" with taekwando that you have been feeling about this triathelon - there is something about being close to accomplish something that you once thought you could never do. It makes you feel like you could do anything! Now it is almost a reality. That really is "fun!" Sometimes "fun" is hard and hurts a lot.
I'll bedt that when you're done with this, you find even harder ways to have fun! We're nuts.