Wednesday, April 8, 2009

passing the baton

Another day gone. I am so grateful I got to spend the last 3 days by Spencer's bedside. Not knowing what it would be like, I brought along 2 books and a huge binder all about Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) to read while I was there. Unfortunately, it wasn't ANYTHING like a relaxing little mini vacation with my sisters! Taking care of Spencer in his current state is exhausting. I pray for Jen and Mom and the rest of the family as they take turns with this task in the near future. Spencer is a STRONG man and requires a lot of attention when he's not sleeping. By the end of each night, all three of us (Shelyce, Alisha, and I) were pretty tuckered.

To help everyone understand Spencer's current status, he's a level 4 on the Rancho los amigos coma/brain injury scale. Of course since every brain injury is different, and each patient reacts differently, not all of these things apply to Spencer. He is agitated, but not so much angry or violent. He's not swearing at us or hitting, but when he's more alert (and consequently in more pain), he is constantly moving, fiddling with stuff, and thrashing about. We see bouts of "appropriateness," and plenty of confusion. This is evidenced by how much better he reacts when we explain things to him. For instance, this afternoon, they changed his cast from a less secure one that he was pulling apart (but once he helped me rewrap it!) to a rigid one. I got to see the pin sticking out of his wrist and considering this, the PA left the cast pretty loose. Well, once Spencer woke up a little, he managed to hook his fingers in there and nearly pulled the new cast a good 2 inches up his hand. Needless to say, the same PA had to come back and redo the whole thing... much tighter the second time. I kept explaining to him that he had to leave this one alone, because changing the cast is a big pain and makes a big mess! He was much more gentle with it and didn't fight me as much when I'd pull his good hand away from exploring it.

Occasionally, he tries to speak in long sentences, but it's all completely mumbled. And then the next minute, he's looking at a picture of him and his girls and he's able to identify each one when we ask, "which one is Katie, where's Greta, who is Mikayla?" I was SO happy this morning when I had Spencer open his eyes to look at me and when I asked him, "do you know who I am?" he said, "sister." Yesterday, he just looked at me and said, "no," so I just kept reminding him! When Shelyce asked him the same thing today, he mumbled a little and then said, "love all of you." The verbal output increased a TON once Jen got back there. He knew her immediately and had much more to say to her, including, "I love you" and "glad you're back." Don't worry, I wasn't offended!

He spent about an hour upright in a therapy chair this morning, which is twice as long as nurse thought he would be able to tolerate it. It pooped him out, though, and made pain management much more difficult once we got him back on the bed. After the rehab doctor saw Spencer this morning, he became determined to get Spencer started on rehab by Thursday.

Turns out, Kaiser (the omnipotent insurance entity) finally made a decision to transfer Spencer on Thursday (April 9th) and given the choice between Spaulding and Mapleton hospitals, Jen chose Spaulding in Aurora. He'll be taking an ambulance ride over the mountains tomorrow and starting rehab in the Denver area! It will take lots of time; much longer than we want it to take (especially since we'd all love to see him all better next week!). But everything is looking very good. He will need to pass through each stage of recovery, some taking longer than others. It will be taxing on everyone and will require insane amounts of patience, but the prognosis is excellent. If you're looking for something more specific to pray for on his behalf, he could use some blessings as they begin to wean him off of the narcotic pain meds. It's hard to watch him be so agitated, but since that is part of the injury, they need to allow it to happen :( .

I hope the ambulance ride goes smoothly for Spencer tomorrow. My information from now on will be second hand, unless I get some guest bloggers from the family on occasion! Welcome to all the newcomers (and just a warning... this isn't so much an "Anderson family" blog, but still my personal blog, so just be aware that on occasion, my narcissism will interject stuff about me. Feel free to skip those posts, or not!) And by the way... I love receiving comments letting me know who's reading this stuff! No need to be shy.

11 comments:

Peg said...

SWEET- Aurora is much closer to home for Jen than Grand Junction. Thanks for the news and I look forward to hearing more about YOU!

Mandy said...

I am glad you got to be there. It sounds like he has a ways to go. Good luck with everything. :) M

Merinda Reeder said...

Thanks for keeping it up. Of course I am interested in you and your own life and the bits of everything.
I also appreciate being given specific things to pray for, so keep that up.
And if there is anything else that can be done from thousands of miles away - by people that Spencer might not remember even before falling - do tell.

Jen said...

Hey Diana!! I am so sorry to hear aabout Spencer! At least he has a very vigilant family at his side. He will be in our prayers!

Unknown said...

Been reading this daily, and sleep better knowing Spencer has amazing family and support structure. The team here at Ball was gutted by his accident, but that's quickly rebounded to optimism as we read about his improvements. We hope for a successful recovery, and can't wait to see him back here down the road.

Denise said...

Thank you for this blog on Spencer. We are coworkers of Spencer's at Ball and think about him daily. There is always someone asking about him. It is nice to read that he is making progress and will be in Aurora soon and we appreciate your updates!!! We look forward to his recovery. By chance, do you have the room number he will be in at Spaulding? We would like to send get well cards and flowers from our department. : )
My email is dcook@ball.com

Warmest Wishes,

Denise Cook

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that Spence is on his way to Denver. That will be such a relief for Jen too. You've done a great job keeping us all up to date... Thanks!! My whole family keeps asking me about him, and since I'm the "blogger" I can keep them informed thanks to you.

Heather said...

I hope went well with Spencer's trip to Aurora. My family is still praying for him and his family. thanks for keeping me updated.

Erin said...

Just thought I would pop in since I have been doing a little following of your families situation. What courage you all have. Go Andersons! We are praying for you in Tooele County.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Good to know things are still progressing. Prayers continue from here.

Audra M said...

Hi. I'm new to your blog. My husband, Josh, was one of the men that was with Spencer when he fell. It is really good to read about his progress. Your words are helping me understand a tad better what my husband has been dealing with himself since. I think not having the experience myself and only knowing bits and pieces about what happened, I have had a hard time comprehending the magnitude. I am grateful to read this and am encouraged. Josh had just started taking a First Responders course a few weeks before this happened and some of the questions he had asked ended up being needed specifically in this situation. How amazing is our God, huh? This experience also solidified to Josh what he needs to focus on careerwise. I am so sorry for the pain in your family. It's so scary to think it could have been me over there visiting my husband. I'm sure you guys wish it was anyone but you. I mean that with humor, but really I am so sorry. Thanks for the updates. I will make sure that Josh sees this. We pray for Spencer in every prayer!!!