Saturday, April 4, 2009

a post about me

So, I know a lot of newcomers are reading my blog for now, looking for more updates on Spencer. I welcome you all! Hope you don't mind that I interject some of our regularly scheduled programming... blog posts where I go on and on talking about myself. I'll throw on a Spencer update in a minute, but I've been wanting to blog about me and what's been going on in my life this last couple weeks. So, I'm going to.

Since Spencer's accident, I've had a really hard time maintaining any sort of routine. My diet hasn't been bad, but I haven't been as structured as before. That being said, I was still VERY relieved and mostly surprised that I still lost one pound last week. I am now at 148, with a total weight loss of 38.6 lbs. Just to sound more like the biggest loser, I've got a weight loss percentage of 20.6%. Not too shabby.

I've also had a hard time being diligent with my workouts. Instead of 8+ workouts this week, I only got in 4. I've been staying up late most nights talking to my dad, and then jumping online to sum it up for an email to my family and my blog. This has been the difficulty behind getting up early in the morning. THAT, and the incredibly awful weather that's about to make me SCREAM!!!!! I am starting to feel desperate for some sunshine and temperatures above 50*. I was all ready to ride my bike and run to my weight watchers meeting on Thursday (had my helmet and biking shoes on and everything, but by the time I went back outside, it had started raining then snowing). I've run in the rain before, but that was September rain, not April rain. I did double up on my workout yesterday (Friday) doing a 2 mile run on the treadmill before jumping in the pool. Then today, my friend, Julie (who is doing the same race as me - oh she's gonna kick my butt!) and I ran to the track (1 mile), did a mile around the track, swam 8 laps in the Springville pool, then ran home with wet clothes. Julie had to go somewhere for her daughter, so I ran home from her house and decided, "I'll just jump on my bike and see how it goes." I got one word for that bike ride... MISERABLE!!! I was slow, tired, and freezing. I only went about 7 miles, but it felt much further. The whole way home I was just pleading with the Lord, "PLEASE let it be warmer on race day!" Since I was wearing cotton pants over my swimsuit, my entire abdominal, pelvic, and upper thigh areas were wet as I was riding along, dealing with the wind and creating my own wind at 14 mph. My skin was SO red and cold when I got home. My muscles are pretty tired, even sitting here typing I can feel the fatigue. But on the positive side, I now know for sure that I CAN finish this upcoming race and do a decent job with it. It's in 2 weeks already! Crazy.

I'm going to be spending a few days in Grand Junction this next week to take a turn being with Spencer. Everyone so far has said that it's most helpful when there are 3 people there. Since Alisha and Shelyce are going to be there Monday through Wednesday, I'm going to join their little team, especially since Alisha will be bringing her newborn, Marcus, with her. I'm so glad I'll get to spend some time with both of my sisters, and can meet my newest little nephew, while being there with Spencer. Before I leave, I'm going to dig around my old textbooks and class notes and brush up on the speech and cognitive therapy used for TBI. This will be mostly for my own benefit, and hopefully Spencer's, though he may not need it. We'll just have to see. I'm especially thankful to Paul for being willing to let me leave him with the boys for a few days. It's important for me to feel like I'm being of some use. I know it will be harder for him this week, yet he understands and has been supportive. I'm so blessed to have him. I'm also grateful for a somewhat flexible work schedule and for the understanding my schools have shown me in letting me duck out and miss therapy this week. Thanks, guys!

Well, enough about me. Now I'll get started on a post about Spencer's progress today.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I am so proud of you for working so hard. Your bike-ride sounds yucky...so glad it wasn't me. haha.

Great job on the continued weight loss...you are a rock star...and you look sooooooo great!

I am weighing in today...so you better watch out.