Saturday, January 17, 2009

Things I've learned this week.

Here's a list of some things I learned (or was reminded of) this week:

FIRST: (and hardest) The first time you find enough evidence and suspicion of child abuse to actually turn a family in to DCFS is rough. It makes your stomach hurt as you ask questions that the child can't/won't answer because he "forgot" (and then clearly lies about) how he got that huge bruise on his arm shaped like a huge hand. I didn't have to make the call myself, but I was the first to notice it and then got others involved.

SECOND: I would rather have all three of my kids sick than my husband. Nuff sed.

THIRD: I hate being so far away from my family when there is a new little nephew to meet for the first time. Alisha had her baby 6 weeks early, and he weighed in at 3 lbs 13 oz. Thankfully, he's doing remarkably well. This is the same size Paul was when he was born premature. Anyway, I want to go see them so bad and it stinks that I won't be able to for a while. Congrats on the arrival of little Marcus, Lishka! Hope he gets to come home VERY soon!

THIRD & a half: I think the baby-delivery days of my sisters and close friends will be just a little bit hard for the next couple of years. Not VERY hard (of course I'll be super excited for them), but just a little feeling of "oh, I just wanted one more shot at that!" Maybe I'll get one, and then again, probably not, which is also okay.

FOURTH: I can now swim a mile... but it takes a long time (around 45 minutes or so). I also learned it's easy to lose track of what lap you're on once you get up past 25 laps.

FIFTH: Running is harder on your body than biking or swimming. I was SO sore on Thursday after running on Wed. night.

SIXTH: These last 15 lbs are going to be exponentially harder to lose than the first 25ish were. I'm afraid a plateau is in my future. I'm going to have to be more strict on the dieting plan, keeping very close count of points, and trying new healthier foods to get me past it. I did lose .4 of a pound last Thursday, but that ain't much.

SEVENTH: Magic erasers do clean off soap scum from your shower walls pretty well, but you still have to scrub pretty hard when your shower is as yucky as mine.

EIGHTH: DS games are easy to lose. We're already down 2. Better check the couches.

NINTH: The new Stampin' Up! catalog was delivered to my house this week and I am in TROUBLE!!!!

TENTH: Life is good.

6 comments:

Molly said...

Things I've learned this week...that you are a way better blogger than me. So fun keeping in touch with you.

Jaynie said...

Great lessons! I can't wait to hear about the triathlon.

Lacey said...

Don't you wish we could learn things without having to go through them ourselves. Life would be so much easier that way. You are an inspiration to me with everything that you do!

Alisha M said...

Love you! He comes home tomorrow!

LaRene said...

I have been following your blog for awhile now and enjoy learning more about you and your family. Your family is adorable. You certainly have a busy life and express your feelings so well.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Oh, girl, I feel your pain. What a week. But swimming a mile is HUGE! Thats a lot of laps. I lose track all the time and then have to start guesstimating, and adding a few extra just to be sure.

I have been working on those last 15 for a few years now.

Magic erasers are cool.

DS games are too expensive to be so small and losable.

That SU catalog is KILLING me! Where do even begin? Manhatten, Retro Fresh, Sweet Bella - love it all. Oh and the new texture plates and dies for the Big Shot...

Great post!