Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Book club was a bit... lacking

Last week I went to our ward's book club after a 3-4 month hiatus from it. Back in the fall when I was taking forever to read "Gone with the Wind," I just didn't get around to reading the books they had picked. Well, I read MOST of one of them, but didn't realize what day they were meeting to discuss it and then I missed it. Then for the next book, "The Hiding Place," despite multiple attempts, I could never get my hands on a copy of the book. It's still on my "to read" list. This month, we were to read "Little Women," and since I'd read it about a year ago, I didn't bother reading it again and lent my copy to another gal.

SOOOO, I got there with fading memories of the book in mind, but with a willingingness and limited ability to discuss characters and general plot. Three other gals were there. One was almost finished with the book, one hadn't read it, and the other only read half (somehow her copy was only the first part up to where the dad gets home from the war). Needless to say, the discussion was not good, considering I had the most to say! We ended up talking about Gone with the Wind almost as much as we did Little Women. Seriously. Ah well.

I ended up picking the book for next month and I hope it gets here in the mail quickly. We're going to be reading "These is my Words" by Nancy E. Turner. Here's hoping it's as good as my friend says it is, because I have to lead the discussion!
Just to blather on some more about books, I finished reading Jane Austen's "Persuasion" and am now halfway through "Emma." I loved Persuasion and gave it a glowing 4 stars. I am also enjoying Emma, but I do have to say, it's a bit slower than I would prefer! Sometimes the length of some conversations makes me open my eyes wide in annoyance. Still, it's Jane... I love her!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I have to tell you that you are the 2nd person in 2 days that has complained about Book Club. Ha! Makes me happy to read on my own. It's a great concept but sometimes just doesn't quite do it....Hope you guys are doing well. <3 M

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Man, I really got to get back into reading again. Maybe if I just slept less.... HA!