Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My plans for this year.

editing to add that I've thought of a #8 plan... I'm going to get contacts this year. I'd go for lasik, but that's more money! I'm just tired of the glasses. I want my face back. I'm tired of them fogging up when I open the dishwasher. I'm also tired of them falling down when I'm exercising. Time for something new.

All week, I've been thinking about the whole new years resolution thing. The last couple of years I've rebelled and haven't set any. I thought to myself, "why set a goal that I know I won't accomplish?" I was done with the guilt! This year, I'm still rebelling on setting the goals, but not for the same reason. I guess I already feel like I've been making some really good changes for myself, at least in a couple areas, and I want to be able to focus on that success rather than pile on more self-improvement projects that will just overwhelm me (and lead to more guilt).

So, instead of posting my resolutions (since I'm not making any), I'll post what I'm already planning on doing this year.

1. I fully intend to reach my Weight Watchers goal and perhaps even go beyond, but not too far. I've got another 15 lbs to go. I teasingly told Paul's family that my prediction for 2009 was that I would replace Melanie as the skinniest sister in the family... and then they can check me into an eating disorders clinic to treat my anorexia! That's what it would take for me to be skinnier than Melanie! She's gorgeous, and I'm happy to let her carry that banner on her own!

2. I'm going to grow my hair long again. (I know, big plans!!!) I think this will be more convenient for all the training and swimming I'll be doing in the summer. Since I've been married, I've only grown it out when I was pregnant, and then shortly after delivery, I chop it off. I'm ready for another haircut right now, but I'm going to stick it out for another month or so until I'll have some length to work with for a new style.

3. I'm going to do this triathlon in April, and I'll be ready for it. I may even do a few more during the summer depending on if I overcome my hesitance to swim in a pond with fish poo. A wetsuit would be required for this to happen, and so far, I've spent enough!

4. I'm going to keep reading good literature, which has replaced a lot of the TV watching I used to do. I still have my favorite shows, but I've been able to let a lot of it go. Right now I'm reading Jane Austen's Persuasion. I like it! I started reading again about 5 years ago and have SO MUCH TO READ!

5. We're going to finish paying off our debt and achieve a fully funded emergency fund. We've already been working on the debt payoff, and the emergency fund is the next step. We'll be able to do it this year as long as we're not stupid. Yeah, shut up, I know I just bought a bike!

6. Charlie will be potty trained before 2010. This is a plan, but one I realize may or may not happen. Here's hoping he'll be more ready than Andy was when he turned 3!

7. Because of #6, we will be putting in the bathroom downstairs this year. It will happen, even if it makes #5 a little harder.

There are other things that I'd like to work toward, but I think I'll stop here. Now that I've got this all published, it will be nice to see how it all panned out next January. Good luck with all your plans/goals and happy 2009!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I totally want to do a triathalon this year, but fear I lack the motivation to train. Keep me informed about how it goes for you... and maybe I'll join you in the summer!