Saturday, November 8, 2008

Two goals met!

I was pretty excited for several events this week. As I mentioned on my Halloween post, I was getting really close to meeting my first weight loss goal of losing 10% of my starting weight. This Thursday at weigh-in, despite the candy cheating here and there, I finally met that goal! Yea for me! They gave me a key chain and had everyone clap for me, which isn't a big deal compared to the reward of actually losing the weight, but still nice of them!
I was actually very relieved to reach it because 8 years ago when I went on the Weight Watchers plan to lose some of my "first year of marriage"/"love makes you fat" poundage, I got within one pound of my 10% goal before I got pregnant with Andy. I had to resign from WW at that point having never reached my goal. The ironic thing is, now that I've lost this weight, I'm at the weight I was when I started WW 8 years ago... ooh, that's kind of depressing.
So I've set a new goal that I'm hoping to reach by Christmas. Currently, all my pants are looking pretty baggy, but I don't want to buy just the next size down... I want to skip it all together. So, my goal is to be that next size by Christmas and my birthday so I can go on a little shopping spree and get some clothes that actually fit. Here's a squinty picture of Charlie and I. I know it's lame, but I had Paul take a picture of me to sort of "document" where I was at when reaching my first weight loss goal.
The second fun event from this week occurred last night. Several weeks ago after setting up a Facebook account and reconnecting with some old friends from high school, I got a real itch to perform something again. A big part of my identity in high school (to myself anyway) was my singing. I did a lot of performing in college, but since then, it's been limited to mostly group songs or duets for church stuff and family talent shows. Well, last Monday, my mother-in-law called to ask if I'd sing a duet with Tara for a "night on broadway" event they were having with their ward at the lodge last night. She also asked if I would be willing to do another number, which I happily agreed to. Being the theater-loving geek that I am, the hardest part was picking something! So, last night, I got to sing "Someone Else's Story" from Chess, and the small Glinda part to "Defying Gravity" from Wicked. Though it was still small scale, and it was for a church function, in the same set up as our family talent shows, I had a lot of fun doing it. It's nice to still be able to enjoy the musical part of me.

If, you read this post previously, I need to retract something. The bullet I thought I dodged ended up finding me. It turns out that I WILL be helping the new charter high school in Springville, Merit Academy, with some of their speech and language testing needs this month. After this month is over and the December 1st headcount is past, I'll be taking a "try-it-out and see" approach to determine if I have enough room in my schedule to handle another caseload. So far, there is not a very big caseload at Merit, so I'm hoping the caseload can be managed in half a day a week. But lately, caseloads seem to have a funny way of growing on me! So, we'll see! My favorite thing about working with this school is that it is local, just 5 minutes from my home. I'm hoping this will be a positive experience for all involved! Plus, having a little extra money coming in right before Christmas will be nice, especially since we're buying my brother-in-law's car this month!

So, it's been a great and crazy week so far.

7 comments:

Mandy said...

Congrats! Good work! :)

Emily said...

I am so proud of you. You rock! Keep up all the great work.

Alisha M said...

Way to go!!

We're so excited to see you in a couple of weeks, you skinny thing you!

Dave said...

Great work!!! Aside from diet, what is your routine? I have been trying to get off my butt and work off my love handles for too long and you may be my inspiration. Any thickness I used to have in my chest and shoulders seems to have just settled around my waist. Kind of depressing.

Unknown said...

So...you commented on my book journalling blog a while ago, like a long while ago. And I am so sorry that I never got around to responding. Life kind of got away from me! Thank you so much for your comments, I really do love getting suggestions!

Diana said...

Dave, unfortunately, no real routine has set in... I'm mostly blaming my ridiculous exploding work schedule for that, but I have been making extra effort to do some intensive work-outs at least twice a week. I squeeze in more if Paul organizes them for me! But really, it's the dieting. I ran a ton all summer and ended up gaining a couple pounds because it turns out, I just eat too dang much! Sorry there's no secret to what I'm doing right now!

Alisha - I'm crazy excited to be seeing you all at Thanksgiving. I'm going to need your support to limit my pie consumption!

Thanks for the support, everyone! It really is helpful!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

That is so great about you WW goal. Great job! It definately is a reward in itself, and nothing so motivating as success - and to do it after Halloween is especially impressive. That candy keeps taunting me.

And how fun to sing something, besides regular church songs. I would love to sing something from Wicked. On Halloween I was Elphaba and wanted so bad to break out into "No... good... deed... goes unpunished..." at the trunk-or-treat, but the opportunity never presented itself. Wish we lived close so we could duet together. That would be fun!