Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First day of a new adventure

Today school started up again. This is day of mixed emotions for me. I LOVE the summer time because it means a bunch of different things to me. It's time with my boys, time to just be 'chill', time to read, time for playdates with our friends, and the chance to just 'go and do something' if we feel like it. Not that we always felt like it, but hey, the option is there!

But once school starts, it's all about the SCHEDULE!!! It can be frustrating, but ultimately, it's a good thing for our family and for me. I've realized this last couple weeks that I'm a prime example of inertia. You know, an object in motion stays in motion. Over the last school year, I was able to accomplish quite a lot! Even though I am crazy busy with 3 schools' caseloads, I still manage to fit in the mothering, the 'wife'ing, my hobbies, and those things that are important to me (though not necessarily WELL on any of these things). But over the summer, everything just slows down to the point where some days, NOTHING gets accomplished. Paul got really annoyed with me this summer that the cleaning only got done in random increments. I got annoyed with myself that besides running, I had a REALLY hard time being consistent with working out. Somehow when you have all the time in the world, the only time to get to the gym is NEVER! I think I only went swimming at the gym 3, maybe 4, times. I was WAY more prepared for the triathlon in April than I am for the one next weekend. I know I'll be able to finish it fine, but it won't be glorious! So, I guess it will be very good for me to "get busy" again.

I'm actually glad that I'll be forced to spend time with the boys helping them with their reading and homework. It'll be GREAT to really look forward to spending all day with Charlie... I hate it that I take that for granted over the summer. I'm THRILLED that we will have structured and more productive things to occupy the boy's time. And I know, I KNOW, that these things can be accomplished over the summer as well, but I admit... I'm not good at actually DOING it. It sucks that I'm deadline driven, but at least when there are deadlines, things get done.

This year, besides starting up all the usual "bidnez" with work and school, I've also added an employee into the mix. Last May, I was able to meet and hire an awesome gal named Tia to work with me as a Speech-Language Technician. She has her bachelor's degree in speech pathology, so under the state licensure, she can perform therapy tasks with students as long as she is under the supervision and case management of a SLP. So, my caseload is still GIGANTIC with 3 schools, but now I have an extra set of hands. Tia and I will work together 3 days a week (one day at each school) and then she'll work an extra day at each elementary school on her own doing therapy that I plan. It will be very nice to be able to offer each school ALL the speech therapy services that they need, and still be able to be home 2 days during the week. But, as you can imagine, I'm anxious about the whole set up and am praying SO HARD that this works out for ALL of us, including the schools! It'll require much more organization than I'm accustomed to, but I know I can do it... because I will HAVE to. Remember that part about being deadline driven!? So, please send your prayers and good thoughts our direction! We're going to need it!

So, today starts a new adventure for me as an employER. Here's hoping the ride isn't TOO bumpy!

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Good luck 'n' stuff! I dread back to school time. I love the lazy summer days when we're all just home, and hanging out together. Hopefully your transition into the school year isn't too painful :)

Miss Kendra said...

I am sorry that we did not get to chat today. I am so stressed during lunch that I do not even think to say hello to people. Once I get the hang of the new system I will be back to normal chatting and laughing. Just give me time to get it down!

I miss the summer already. The lazy days sitting by the pool doing nothing. AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Diana said...

Yep, gotta love how you can justify doing nothing but sitting around by calling it, "working on my tan!" No worries, Kendra... we'll have plenty of time to chat this year, I'm sure!

Jennifer said...

I'm glad you had a good time at convention. You are so talented with that stuff. Could you pass me a little. Good luck with work and managing someone else. You'll be great!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

I am so with you in the whole schedule thing. it has been nice having unscheduled time, but I haven't spent it as I should have. I do respond well to a schedule, though I sometimes hate it at the same time.

Good luck with the new page in your career. You'll make a great boss!