Monday, August 3, 2009

Back in the saddle again

Last week, I signed up and paid the money to do another sprint triathlon. This will be my second one and I'm excited to get back to the cross training. Since signing up for the Red Rock Relay, I've been doing nothing but running. But last Friday morning, I finally got on my bike again after way too many weeks. I did just a short 10 mile ride, but it felt good to be out there with the wind on my face! Plus, I didn't get a bee sting this time... so that's good!

Today, I jumped back into the pool. Paul noticed an ad that one piece swimsuits were on sale at Big 5, so we went and got me a new suit. I got my first suit last fall wearing a size 14 that was a little snug (as swimsuits are supposed to be) but since losing the weight, it's been feeling like I was pulling half the pool around with me. So I got a new one today and took it for a test drive at the gym. I'm definitely out of practice, and it didn't help that I was already a little tired after going for a low-key run with Paul and the boys this blazing-hot afternoon. But, I'm sure with a little practice, I can get back into the swing of things before the race.

Did I mention that Paul AND Andy are also going to do this triathlon with me? This will be the first time Paul and I do the same race and also Andy's first attempt at a kid's course. His race is really short, so even though he's not a great swimmer, we know he'll be able to make it across the pool, ride his bike around the park for 1/2 a mile and then run a quarter mile to finish it off. I'm sure he'll struggle a little, but we're hoping to get him focused on doing something productive to start off this school year. His first attempt at running around the track today went really well. He struggled with a sideache during the first lap we ran, but after showing him how to breathe better, he looked much stronger on the 2nd lap. I'm excited for him and proud of his willingness to give it a try. He's such an awesome kid!

The race is on August 29th and the registration fee goes to a charity. They have the "full race" which is a typical 1/4 mile swim, 12.5 mile bike, 3.1 mile run, but they also have a "novice race" which is half the distance for those looking to give it a try! I'm excited and looking forward to the event.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Want to run the fun run in Salem with me this saturday? It would be a good ego boost, you would kick my bum.

Diana said...

I'd love to run it with you, Molly, but I'll be up in Salt lake for the Stampin' Up! convention. I'll be lucky to get any sort of workout this weekend!