Sunday, May 17, 2009

Day 5 - traveling North

On Wednesday, we were sailing north. That morning, we woke up with excellent intensions to get a good workout in before our day full of food on board! We got up to the gym and I warmed up on an arctrainer machine for 5 minutes since there wasn't more than one treadmill available. Paul ran on the treadmill for 10 minutes. The boat was rocking SO HARD, but it wasn't affecting me much on the arctrainer. Once I tried to do some weight lifting with the machines, that's when it got extra difficult! The weights got really heavy when the boat would rock one way, and really light when it would roll back! I quickly got faint and nauseated and couldn't keep going. I finally convinced Paul that this workout wasn't going to work for me and we went down to the buffet for some breakfast. Eating some food and drinking some orange spice tea really helped.

We walked around the ship for a while looking for our friends. They were no where to be found! One time walking through the covered pool area though, we were impressed by how the water in the pool was splashing around with the boat rocking so much, so thinking that it looked like fun, we went back to the room to change into our swimsuits. This was the first time in a LONG time I'd been swimming with the intent to just enjoy the water, and not get in a good cardio workout! With this small pool acting more like a wavepool, we had a blast in the water! We met another couple that morning. Tyler and Jana from Shelley, ID. They were also celebrating their 10 year anniversary, and we had a lot in common with them. We probably spent several hours that morning in the pool and hottub. It was nice not having anything else pressing us for our time. We ran into Kevin and Ken again at that point and got some lunch with them.

After showering and getting ready for the afternoon, I can't really remember what else we did. I think that was the afternoon that Paul went putt-putt golfing with one of the guys and I went back to our room and read/slept (funny how those are always tied together!)

It was formal night again that night and we were looking forward to the lobster! We got all dressed up again and met the gang for our dinner appointment. The dinner was DEEEEE-licious!! The giant prawns they served with the meal were almost as yummy as the lobster itself. Against better judgment, I went ahead and ordered 2 lobster dinners and was sufficiently stuffed. Kevin and Ken managed about 6 each, maybe more. It was impressive!

After dinner, Paul and I had some portraits taken. It would have been nice to buy a few more of them, but they charge you through the NOSE for the prints of your pictures! We did get one of them and still need to get it framed. After getting our pictures taken, we went to another comedy act, this one by Dan Bennett. He did a lot of juggling along with his very intellectual humor. He used to be a math professor at UCLA, so he would describe the physics behind some of his moves! It was very fast paced using very big words, but entertaining none the less. I don't envy him trying to juggle with the ship moving as much as it still was. After the comedian, we stuck around for the "marriage gameshow." We had put our names on the list to see if we'd get randomly chosen, but thankfully we didn't. True to form, they asked some pretty personal questions I would have been uncomfortable answering! I think Paul and I would have done pretty well on answering the questions the same, but a few would have been tough. For example, I'm not sure I would have known who he'd pick for a second wife and I don't know if we would have agreed on which one of Paul's annoying/disgusting habits is the worst. He's not a disgusting guy. After that, we hung out on the deck a little and in the atrium, and then just headed off to bed.

So that was our Wednesday at sea! It was a really fun day. Next stop, San Francisco!

1 comment:

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Good for you going for that second lobster dinner! Free lobster. I probably wouldn't have stopped at 2 myself. You are SO GOOD!