Thursday, May 14, 2009

Day 3 - San Diego

On Monday morning, we woke up to find the ship staring right at San Diego. I had woken up early enough to head over to the "stretching" class that I was hoping would be more like yoga. Nope, it was just stretching... and a total waste of time. So to make up for the fact that I hadn't broken a sweat, I jumped on the treadmill and ran for 20 minutes. It was cool to be running and looking at downtown San Diego! For some reason, I didn't remember the city being so close to the pier. On our first cruise, we stopped in San Diego as well, but this time it was completely different for some reason. Paul had gone up to the track and ran outside for his workout.

I met up with Paul and we joined our group for breakfast all stinky and everything... I'm sure they loved that! We made plans with Shane and Heather to take a ride on a double decker tour bus around the city. After breakfast, we got showered and ready to go into the city. I think we were off the boat by 10:30. Since we were docked at the port, we didn't have to catch a ride, we just walked right off. That was so much more convenient!
So we jumped on to the top of the double decker bus (the tour cost $40 for both of us). It took us around the USS Midway docked right "next door", over near the seaside touristy spot (I'm sure it has an official name, but danged if I can remember it!), and around the downtown area.



As we drove, we could barely hear the commentary over the intercom, but found what we could hear very interesting. Our main plan was to take the bus over to "Old Town". It drove us past the mall and through Little Italy before reaching our destination. Once we got off the bus, we had about 2 hours before he would be coming back around again to pick us up. So we hit the stores! Old Town had so many great little shops and the buildings around were beautiful. It was neat to see the Church of the Immaculate Conception with it's authentic bell tower,
the Whaley House which is the oldest brick building in San Diego, and it's supposedly haunted (many linchings were performed back in the day),
and all the great restaurants and street vendors. What a cool little part of town with so much history. With only 2 hours to experience it all, we really only scratched the surface. Mostly because there was food involved! I went into this ice cream store with the intention of getting frozen yogurt, but they didn't have any. So instead of getting the one fat free option they had, I got a kiddie size scoop of the mocha almond fudge... Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Guilt ridden, but totally worth it!

Then we got some food from a Mexican food restaurant. I got this GIANT burrito and ALMOST regretted eating the whole thing! Up to this point, I was not used to eating this much food. This is where the diet started going downhill... and fast!

A bunch of couples from the cruise did the same thing as us. This is where we met an awesome couple, Gary and Tracy from Napa Valley. They were so friendly and we had a great time talking to them as we waited for the bus to return. We also took the time to chat with them other days on the ship and they were very impressive people! This is us waiting for the bus sitting in front of the church. I had bought the sun visor and some cute nail polish that changes color in the sunlight at Del Sol! It's actually a Utah company, but my hat says "San Diego" and that's what matters! We also found a few little trinkets for the boys. We spent this whole time with Shane and Heather, but Kevin and Ken found their own things to do.
Back on the boat, we met up with the guys for our dinner reservation. After dinner, we caught another comedy act by Steve Moris and then stuck around for the "So you wanna be a ROCKSTAR" event. It was basically glorified karaoke, but harder without the bouncing ball! Paul chose to sing Patience by Guns & Roses. I admit to not having ever heard the song and after watching a couple of the earlier performers totally suck, I kept tell Paul, "tell me you know this song!" He ended up doing a pretty good job, but admits he messed up his favorite part at the end! Ah well! He had fun, and that's the point!
I think we went to bed pretty early that night. We were stinkin tired after staying up late for so many days in a row. I was exausted!

2 comments:

Miss Kendra said...

Seaside Village?

Yeah we go there two or three times a year with the kids and go on the merry-go-round.

I grew up going there every single summer and it has great memories for me!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Seaport Village, actually.

SD is my town. I love it and miss so much about it.

I'm glad you enjoyed it too!