Friday, January 1, 2010

According to plan?

Last year in January, instead of choosing any resolutions to break, I decided to just list the plans I had for 2009. I went back to read that post today to see how I did on those plans and thought I would return and report.

Here's the list, followed by how that all worked out for me:
1. I fully intend to reach my Weight Watchers goal and perhaps even go beyond, but not too far. CHECK! I did reach my weight watchers goal and became a lifetime member! In total, I lost just over 40 lbs. I did NOT go beyond that goal because I was pretty burned out. I will admit to having gained a fluctuating 4-6 lbs from my lowest weight of last year. The holiday season spanning from Halloween to Christmas has been very delicious this year. So, I have a little backtracking to do to continue the maintenance.

2. I'm going to grow my hair long again. CHECK! I know this one was stupid, but I did grow out my hair and it's taken all year! Here's a current shot of me taken today... I look old.


3. I'm going to do this triathlon in April, and I'll be ready for it. CHECK! In case you missed it (hahaha!), click here to read all the deets. Getting into triathlon and racing was a very empowering thing for me this year. I ended up doing 2 sprint triathlons, 1 5k, 1 10K, and the Red Rock Relay. I intend to do all this and more in 2010 (except trade in Red Rock for the Wasatch back relay! No more Red Rock for me!)

4. I'm going to keep reading good literature. CHECK! I have read a lot of good books this year, though I got a bit tangled up in a few. The John Adams biography took me FOREVER to read and I've started A Tale of Two Cities 3 times and continue to get stuck in the first 70 pages. It's gonna happen soon, though. I know I can do it!

5. We're going to finish paying off our debt and achieve a fully funded emergency fund. Boooo! Unfortunately, we did not accomplish this plan. We haven't necessarily been STUPID with our money this year... we just haven't been SMART. I'm carrying this plan into 2010.

6. Charlie will be potty trained before 2010. Boooo! This one didn't happen either... YET! We're getting closer. But we (as parents) haven't fully committed to this one YET! Soon, very soon!

7. Because of #6, we will be putting in the bathroom downstairs this year. Boooooooooooooooooo! Didn't do this one yet either... BUT, we have gotten one bid on it, and since that one won't work, we're pursuing other options. We have the money put aside and I'm hoping to get this one done by the end of this month... we're getting desperate for another toilet around this place!

8. I'm going to get contacts this year. Boo! See above picture and yesterdays post about getting new glasses! The eye doctor basically told me that he didn't think I would actually wear the contacts if he prescribed them for me. People who don't REALLY need to wear glasses are very unlikely to stick things in their eyes. He convinced me to just get the glasses for now since the only time I've been missing them is at night while driving. So though I didn't follow through with this plan, I don't feel like this one reflects a character flaw! I'm actually pleased to have some glasses to throw on when they're handy.

There's my report. I accomplished 50% of them and we're close on some of the ones that weren't accomplished. So, I'm feeling pretty good about that.

I haven't yet taken the time to plan out 2010. I think one thing 2009 taught me is that no matter your intentions, life never goes completely according to plan. A year ago, we spent some time after Christmas with my brother Spencer and his family. Never in a million years could anyone have guessed how much their world would be rocked this year. A year later, I still consider our family extremely blessed to still have him around and thriving. Trial followed by huge blessings.

Also a year ago, my two sisters were pregnant with their first babies. Alisha's came 6 weeks early, freaking us all out... but thankfully, Marcus is a happy and healthy baby and now Alisha's expecting a new baby girl this April. We're counting on her showing up in April! Megan's baby, Lily, came a week late in June and ended up spending over a month in the NICU with no diagnosis. Sweet Lily is a little fighter and is making progress all the time, but every little gain she makes will be a victory since 'typical' development has been slower. She's an absolute angel and one of the prettiest babies I've ever seen. Both Marcus & Lily's births were big trials, but followed with significant blessings.

So, who knows what 2010 will bring. I have lots of hope for great things, and faith to know that whatever comes, we'll be supported through it all.

4 comments:

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

I think you get a higher score than 50%. The contacts thing is not your fault, and the potty training is Charlie, not you (you are already potty trained!). So I'd give you a 75%, which is not to bad. Besides, in my book, you get extra credit for the 40 lbs. lost, and another one for the triathlons, which bumps you up to a solid "A" in my book. Way to go, lady!!! You are AMAZING!

You are right about not knowing what this year will bring, so we just need to appreciate every moment!

Have a great "A+" kind of year!

Brett and Tiffany said...

You did great! Focus on the ones you did accomplish and there's this year to continue the ones you didn't finish! You can do it!

spencer said...

For the past few years I've resolved to quit smoking. But this year I just can't do it, I don't have that much commitment in me. I smoked a turkey two weeks ago, then the next Sunday I smoked a pork shoulder. It was my first turkey attempt and it was so good I may never bake a turkey again. And pulled pork is as close to divine as we get here on earth.

Smoking is a dirty habit, but I just can't give it up.

This year I've just got one goal.

Get up close views of the bottom of zero cliffs.

Hope I can pull that one off better than the quit smoking goal.

Emily said...

I think you did really great. I am so proud of you. You are one of the hardest working women that I know. You rock.

BTW: I love your new glasses and your hair. You are one sexy mama!