Thursday, December 11, 2008

Oh, what a "filling"

As mentioned in my last post, I had the lovely opportunity to visit the dentist this past Monday. I have shamefully admitted to a couple friends how long it's been since I last visited the dentist, but I still won't admit it here on the blog. Anyway, the dentist and his assistant were impressed that it wasn't worse and even commented that I must have been standing in the right line in heaven when it came to picking "dental genes." Apparently, I have very "cleanable surfaces" and strong teeth. I'm also willing to give some credit to my Sonicare toothbrush! Unfortunately, there was a bit of a shadow on one of my molars (that already had a filling) and I needed to get it redrilled and refilled.
So I had the work done on Wednesday morning, and I had forgotten that it takes a LONG time for nerve blocking medicine (such as novacaine and whatever epidurals are made of!) to kick in full force for me. I waited and waited for the first injection to work and since my tongue was numb, he got started until I was wincing at every touch of the drill. So he gave me more and I waited and waited some more. Even though my lip wasn't numb yet, I told him to go ahead and do it. I felt WAY more of the drilling than I wanted to and once he was done and I was leaving the office, my tongue, gums and lips were finally COMPLETELY numb... and stayed that way for the next 4 hours. Nice. Sidenote, this was the reason I was willing to try delivering Charlie natural, without epidural. I hated being numb for hours on end after the baby was born. I ended up getting one, unfortunately, due to the pitocin situation, but oh well.

Now I have a new filling that isn't quite low enough and it feels different than the others I have. It feels like I always have food in that tooth. Yuck. But I AM counting my blessings that my situation wasn't as bad as it could have been. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for blessing me with good teeth! I really appreciated it this week!

4 comments:

spencer said...

We must have got the good teeth genes. I went to the dentist in 1994, then again in 2002. I had two small cavities then that they drilled with no painkiller (I'm hardcore that way). I went back in 2008. No cavities, good gums, all clean. Jen was pissed! I hate to floss and only brush in the morning. She brushes and flosses morning and night and had just gone through a root canal.

I actually went back 6 months later for another cleaning. It turns out my insurance pays 100% for two cleanings per year, would have for the past 6 years if I'd gone.

Diana said...

Well, since you're admitting that you've gone 8 years between check ups, I'll admit that it has been 9.5 years... since right before I got married in 1999. Also impressive is that I had three kids in those 9.5 years and supposedly that's bad for your teeth or something! We've also had insurance for the last 3 years. I'm sure they would also pay 100% for the cleanings, but why put yourself through that! Actually, I think I will also return for another cleaning in 6 months. Might as well since we've got the coverage anyway!

Camille said...

I have the same problem with the numbing stuff at the dentist!

And now I'm feeling all virtuous for going to the dentist twice a year and even occassionally flossing!

Diana said...

You always have been a step ahead of the rest of us, Cam!